This is the last update I will be making on my BAGA303 since today is the hand-in for the project. Overall, I haven’t been able to fully complete the project as I had hoped to due to my lack of foresight when it comes to the plan I created. One of the major issues with the plan was that I didn’t take into consideration how monstrous the task of creating a single character could be. On the one hand, the Alien character took a week to model and two days to do the re-topology. On the other hand, the Female character took around six weeks to create, then an additional week to do the re-topology. This severely cut into my plans and has resulted in only two of the three characters I had planned to create and texture to be done.
I feel I didn’t take into consideration the issues that could come with creating in ZBrush, the first of which being crashes. There were multiple occasions where, even during the later stages where I was working on the characters topology where the program would crash without me saving the work I had already done. This lead to days worth of work being lost in an instant. While I managed to find a temporary work around during the creation of the female character, it was still an issue that would get in the way of progressing the project. This wasn’t just an issue in ZBrush either. As I used 3DS Max to texture of the two models, I still had issues where my work would crash leading me to saving constantly to avoid more crashes during production.
Another setback during production was the fact that multiple files corrupted on my memory stick. In the end, I just started saving straight to my computers hard drive. Originally, I was saving to my memory stick to make it easier to carry the files from one computer to another.
The final setback was the stress I was encountering while working on the project. Overall, I feel it would have been a better idea to have only created two character models rather than three simply because if I had only focused my time on two, I would have had the models finished for display during the summer show.
I have changed my plans as to what I am presenting during the summer show. Since I haven’t completed enough concept art to warrant a concept art book, I have decided to not create and place on on my table. I have also decided against displaying a clay model of my characters because creating the model went on the back burner as I worked on the 3D Models. During production, I felt that it was more important to display my ability to use digital sculpting techniques rather than physical ones.
I have also made changes to my plans when it comes to displaying my characters. I will only be using one frame displaying the female character since I feel that is the strongest example of my ability to model characters. It also took the longest to create. Here is the image that I will be using during the summer show:
I wont be using the textured models since I feel that the models look better rendered as a turntable in ZBrush then they do rendered in 3DS Max with the textures. I will be suing these models as part of a showreel to display my skills as an artist.