This week has been a lot more productive then previous ones but not without its own issues. One of the main issues that I have had is the constant crashing and the amount of time taken to both load and save a piece of work. This was because I was using a polycount that my laptop couldn’t handle. To resolve this issue, I went through all of the models that I had created for this one character and reduced the polycount from 75 Million to 24 Million.
Another issue that I have had is files corrupting after I have worked on them. This is a big issue since at one point, I had completely lost all of the work that I had done for an entire day. While I have ensured that I have a long backlog of files just in case something goes wrong with the model, losing all that work was annoying.
Both of these issues have made it quite difficult to keep a consistent level of work during the week however, I do feel that the work I have done is substantial and that I am close to finally completing the model.
At this point I feel that the work on the characters face is almost complete. While working on the face, I attempted to use what little space I had on my computer monitor to display some reference material to work from. There were two images that I used from my moodboard as references which can be seen above. I liked the woman on the lefts eyes and the woman on the rights lips. I also liked the woman on the rights hair style too, which is why I have changed my mind about how I want the characters hair to look. Also, because I have some reference material for that making the whole process potentially a lot easier then it was before.
One of the main goals for the characters face this week was to finally get the characters eyelids to look like eyelids. To that end, I decided to try and erase the work I had previously done on the characters eyelids and start again using the clay buildup tool to create the characters eyelids. Afterwords, I started to mold it to try and create a circular look.
I have also done some additional work on the characters ears to try and get them to look more like real ears rather than just flat things that stick out of the side of the characters head.
Something else I worked on was the characters hair. Like I have mentioned before, I have decided to change the way in which the characters hair looks because I both like the new style, I have the reference material and I don’t have to worry to much about it clipping through the characters collar. However, I did attempt to work with the old design. It didn’t work out too well so I decided to change it.
To create the new hair style I followed the video I mentioned previously which can be seen here. I started by extracting the characters scalp, using ZRemesher to lower the models polycount and blocked out the shape in which the hair style on the woman took. I then attempted a few times to create the strands out hair but I was unsuccessful in doing so. In the end, I decided to wait until I was back in Plymouth so that I could use two screens instead of one.
The final aspect of the 3D modeling that I have done is to the shirt model. I feel that out of all the work I have done this week, the shirt is the model which I have done the most work to. I feel that I have finally managed to get the creases on the characters shirt to look natural. To do this, I looked my reference material and explored where the shirt had the most creases and applied it to my work. While I used the shirt I previously linked, I also used a different shirt as reference material too which can be found here.
Overall, even with the issues I have experienced during the week, I feel that I am on track to getting this model finished by the end of next week. However, this also means that I have pretty much destroyed any chances of catching up to how my plan originally was. However, I do hope that I can get these models finished in time for the summer show.