During this week I have decided to create texture maps for the characters that I have already worked on the topology for. My reason for doing so is simply so that I can at least one of the three models textured before the hand in date. To do this I have used 3DS Max, Photoshop and Xnormal.
In 3DS Max, I have used a number of different tools to try and ensure that the models are ready to be exported into Xnormal. The first is the selection tool that allows me to automatically highlight N-Gons since XNormal refuses to work with those kinds of polygons. I did this by selecting the option that allows me to find any faces with more then four corners. I also used the Unwrap UVW tool to identify the faces that aren’t connected together for whatever reason. After identifying flaws in the models, I then used the Target Weld tool to join together points that need joining together.
To get a base for my textures, I needed to use XNormal to create both Normal and Occlusion maps for my model. To make sure it had a framework to work from, I then used the Unwrap UVW tool to create an unwrap of my model. Afterwords, I exported the model named “(Insert Name Here)_For_Xnormal” so that I knew which models were to be used in XNormal.
After doing all the previous steps, I then import both a high polygon and low polygon model into XNormal. This way, XNormal creates both Normal and Occlusion maps to be rendered in 3DS Max. Overall, this process has created fairly useful reference material when it comes to creating textures of my models.
Overall, the creation of my models textures has been reletively mundane. It mostly involves taking an Occlusion map into Photoshop and placing color over it using the Color option to allow the computer to create both light and dark shades of color. I then went over the color with a brush to add details to the characters like Lipstick for the female character. Afterwords, I saved the texture maps as a PNG and imported them into 3DS Max along with the Normal maps to create the bumps on the model.
Outside of that, there are a hand full of seperate models that have had additional work done to them. As I mentioned previously, the female characters face has had additional work done to it to layer on color. Another example would be the bit of pinup art on the side of the Gun. As I was looking at the model, I found that there really wasn’t anything on the side of the weapon so I decided having a bit of art would look nice. I was inspired by the various different poses I found on Google image search. Afterwords, I quickly drew the sketch in a separate file.
Overall, while I am happy with the textures, I won’t be using them as part of the Showreel for the summer show. Upon reflection, I prefer the ZBrush files simply because they are a lot more detailed than the textured models.
While working on the textures I also came across a couple of issues, most of which revolving around crashes. 3DS Max would crash every so often resulting in lost work. This is part of the reason why I haven’t managed to create a large amount of texture’s for my other characters.