Since the model I did last week ended up not working out so well, I decided this week to start from scratch this time altering the base model enough so that it would look a little less… wrong? The face needed to be pushed in a little more then it was previously. I also ensured that the top lip was fully detached from the bottom one. I have also made the decision to make sure that all clothing items are separate from each other, this way I can control the amount of polygons that are used on the model to make it more efficient.
My main focus to start this model off was trying to make the anatomy of the character look good. I did this by looking reference material for a woman that has the same build as the character that I am attempting to create. From there I observed how the her muscles looked and how her body looked as well. While there is still work that needs to be done, most notably on her legs, I feel that this is a great starting model for the character
I started working on the face by loading the image I had of my characters face design so that I had some kind of reference to use when creating the character.
My main goal was to try and ensure that the characters face looked as I had designed it in my initial concept art. I also used the moodboard I had created earlier for reference of how the characters cheeks, nose and neck should look. Above are three progress shots from the work I did on the character model. As demonstrated, I attempted to try and define the characters cheekbones, jaw, lips, jowl and head. My biggest mistake was attempting to make the characters skull a little more narrower. I also feel that the characters lips need to be moved a up a little bit. I also need to focus on trying to define the characters eyelids a little more since they don’t look like eyelids.
I also decided to start trying to create the characters shirt. I started by taking a low poly model of the characters shirt then using the move topological brush to try and get the shape of the characters muscles. Afterwords, I increased the amount of polygons that the the shirt model had and started to apply additional detail like the way the shirt opens in the front, buttons, the seams and creases. While trying to add creases I started to realize that the seams would get erased as I would smooth the model so I decided to remove them from the model so I could add them later. I then tried to make the character collar more triangular to try and get the shape I was going for with the characters collar. Overall, I am not too happy with the way in which the creases look on the characters shirt and feel that additional work needs to be done on it. It may be worth while getting some reference material for the characters shirt of the internet.
My final model for the week was getting the characters skirt shape done. Unlike the characters shirt and body model, this time I decided to try a different technique where I extracted the polygons needed for the skirt directly from the model its self and then used ZRemesh to lower the polycount to make it more manageable. Overall, this was a really effective and quick way of creating the characters skirt. I also added some texture to the skirt using the clay build up brush and using the spray feature to build up a cloth texture.
Overall, I feel that this week has been fairly successful when it comes to my work on my character models. However, at the same time, there is still a lot more work that needs to be done. I still need to work on the characters eyelids and making them look more like eyelids rather that what they look like right now, define the characters nose more, fix the shape of the characters skull, work on adding more detail to the characters shirt, work on the characters ears, give the character gloves, work on the characters hair, work on the characters jumper and work on the characters shoes. I feel that this is going to take a lot more time then I initially planned. I should have done more 3D Modelling experiments to ensure that the overall project was viable. I think it may be a smart idea to try and ensure that the next two character models are a lot less complex.